Sunday 27 April 2008

Monica Burns

INTERVIEWED: December 2007


Hi Monica! Welcome to the Christmas Special!

I understand A Bluestocking Christmas was released last year in the anthology Holly, Ivy And Me. What can you tell us about the book’s initial publication?

A: Thanks for having me. I’m delighted to be visiting with you and talking about A Bluestocking Christmas. This novella is story number two in the Holly, Ivy and Me anthology. The anthology contains a ghost character I wrote that runs through all three stories. Ivy’s story, A Bluestocking Christmas was my primary contribution to the anthology.

Your story received a Silver Star Award from JERR. What was your reaction to the news?

A: I was blown away. Gold and Silver Stars from JERR are given out few and far between. To receive one is a real honour because it tells me I wrote a really wonderful book. It also had me bouncing around like a two-year old because I love this story and the word play between the two characters.

What do you think readers will enjoy about A Bluestocking Christmas?

A: I think they’ll love hating Simon in the beginning and then falling in love with him as he grows and is redeemed in the story.

Can you give us a few titbits about the characters and the plot to whet our appetites?

A: Sure, I’d be happy to do so. Miss Ivy Beecham is a bluestocking who has sworn off love, and she’s found the perfect place to hide from love. A library. Simon Carton, Viscount Wycombe, is an intellectual rogue who’s convinced all women can be bought. What neither of them counted on was finding love amid a stack of dusty books. Determined to win the reluctant bluestocking nymph, Simon seduces Ivy with words and other sinful pleasures. But despite the passion between them, Ivy refuses to risk her heart—at least not until the ghost of her ancestor visits her on Christmas Eve and helps Ivy see that her choices will affect the rest of her life. The question is will Ivy make the right choice.

Where did you gain inspiration to write this Christmas themed book?

A: Believe it or not, there’s a small town called Ivy, Virginia that’s just outside of Charlottesville. I loved the name and knew I wanted to write a story about a woman called Ivy. Then when I had the opportunity to do the Christmas anthology with Charlotte Featherstone, I knew Ivy was perfect for the story and the book’s subsequent title.

Is A Bluestocking Christmas unique amongst your publications (i.e. genre, setting, theme etc)?

A: This story is unique in that it’s my first real paranormal work. I’ve always loved paranormal, but up until Ivy’s story I’d always done straight historical romances. This story gave me the opportunity to do a little bit of a Dickens’ twist with the ghost character.

What would you say to convince those who haven’t yet read the book to read it this coming holiday season?

A: This story is one of my best works to date, and I think it’s the word play that makes this story so special. Simon woos Ivy with words. He challenges her intellect. It’s a case of him being forced to acknowledge her intelligence first and her sexual charms second.

Where can readers catch up with you (and your latest releases, Christmas themed or not) on the
net?


A: I’m all over the Internet. My website is at www.monicaburns.com for all the latest news and information. I have an announcement only Yahoo loop with a monthly (or sometimes every other month) newsletter. To join the Yahoo loop visit http://www.monicaburns.com/ContactSubscribe.htm. I’m also on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/monicaburns.

Thanks for having me, and I’d like to wish everyone peace and love throughout the holiday season and into the New Year. Happy Holidays.

Many thanks for participating! Have a Happy New Year!

No comments: