Sunday 27 April 2008

Beverly Rae

INTERVIEWED: November 2006


Hi Beverly! Thanks for being this months featured author.

Hi Elizabeth! I'm so happy to be your featured author. Here I am sitting in my home office, bored to the point of contemplating cleaning the house (Now that's BORED!), just wishing for something fun to do. And what happens? I get your interview questions. Yay!

Please tell us a little about yourself.

A: Really? Just a little? I am such a talker, but I'll try to keep it to a minimum. I came to writing via a path of various jobs including teaching, singing professionally, and being a computer salesperson. Finally, I've managed to find the perfect jobs for me: wife, mother, and writer. Along with taking care of my human family, I take care of three lovable dogs, too.

When did you first begin writing? Was writing something you always wanted to do?

A: I started writing late in life, as I said, after many other occupations. But through it all, I always wrote songs and stories for my own enjoyment.


My hubby, who has encouraged me from Day One, talked me into writing my first book in 2001. After I'd finally finished it, I left writing for a little while and didn't return to it until a year later.

Did it take you long to get published? What were your feelings when your first book was contracted?

A: Well, it seemed like a long time to me! But it really wasn't - only about 4 years. In 2005, Triskelion Publishing contracted the second book I'd ever written, Love Times Seven which is a funny twist on the musical, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, mixed with the television show, Bewitched. I was elated when I received the email saying Triskelion Publishing wanted it. I remember showing the email to my hubby to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Do you have a writing process or does each book emerge in a different way?

A: An idea for a book just comes to me either from something I hear or see. From there, I start envisioning the whole story in my head, like a movie. Then I write the synopsis which is the hardest part for me. But once I have the synopsis down, I'm ready to rock and roll. Writing is the fun part for me.

Which of your characters are your favourites and why?

A: My favorite characters are always the ones in my current work-in-progress. However, I tend to love quirky, unusual, fun secondary characters. For instance, I adore Blair, the gay shifter in Kissin' in the Moonlight. He's a riot!

Do you prefer to write stand alones or connected tales, and is there a reason for this?

A: I prefer to write stand alones because I like to think a reader can pick up any book and understand what's going on without having to buy the first in the series. However, with that said, I like writing continuing characters or series where each book focuses on a specific character. For instance, Devlin Morgan (shifter) was the primary character in Dancin' in the Moonlight. But his brother, Mickale, was such a great character he had to have his own book, called Kissin' in the Moonlight. A reader can read either book first, but will love following the characters throughout both books.

What do you think of the editing process?

A: Ooh, great question. Editing is a love-hate process. I hate getting my edits back from my editor. However, I love the book more once I've learned from the edits and reworked the book through the editing process to create an even better book.

Where do you get the inspiration for your stories?

A: The ideas for my books just pop into my head. For instance, I may see a commercial on television and think "What if..." and then the idea for the story just takes off for me.

Who is/are your publisher(s), and what are they like to write for? Did you choose them, or did they choose you?

A: My main publisher is Triskelion Publishing. They contracted my first book and have published most of my others in either ebook format, print, or both. Triskelion will always have a special place in my heart. I also write for a few other publishers including Silk's Vault Publishing (novellas) and Twin Souls Publications (Midnight Showcase). I recently signed a contract with Samhain Publishing. Samhain is a great publishing company coming up very fast and strong in both ebook and print. I guess you could say I chose my publishers by submitting to them and they chose me by contracting my books.

If there was just one more thing you could do before you die, what would it be?

A: It's funny you should ask that. That's actually the reason I wrote my first book, Touch Me (Samhain Publishing, Spring 07). I simply wanted to achieve the goal of writing a book before I died. But now that I've accomplished that goal, my only other goal is to see my child all grown up, happy, healthy, and living life to the fullest. If she happens to become a very famous, wealthy doctor who will take care of her poor, aging mom, then that's good, too.

Are you able to read the same genres as you write or do the trials of writing your own books put you off?

A: I love anything paranormal. Unlike most of my books which are funny, light, contemporary paranormals, I'll read almost any kind of paranormal, even the dark and scary ones.

Are there any genres you stay well away from, in either reading or writing?


A: Oh, shoot, Elizabeth, I'm old enough to never say never.

What do readers tend to get in touch with you about?

A: My readers are wonderful! I chat with them on the yahoo loops and in online chats. Plus, they email me from time to time to say how they enjoyed my books. I really appreciate those emails!

Is there any advice you can give to anyone who would like to become a published author?

A: Wow! I'd give them tons of advice. Here's just a few bits of "wisdom" --

1. Never, ever give up. This is a hard one to follow. I know since I've given up once. But I came back and that's what counts.
2. Write. Writing is like exercise. It's harder to get back into it if you stop for a day or two. Having said that, is anyone in the market for a treadmill clothes hanger?
3. Don't worry about the money. If you're writing what you love, then write it. Don't write if you think you're going to make a bunch of money.

No comments: